If your outlets are sparking blue every time you plug a device in, you may want to check the appliance’s “ON” and “OFF” switch.
According to Steven Flanagan, a licensed and trained electrician from Birnie HOME SAFE, “sparking is a precursor to fire and the more an outlet is abused from sparking, the more likely a fire will start from excessive heat.”
Steven, who has detected hundreds of electrical hazards and has prevented numerous electrical fires, says that one of the best ways to prevent outlet sparking is to make sure that your appliances are in the “OFF” position before you plug them in.
According to Steven, leaving your device in the “ON” switch, while plugging it into an outlet, is usually what causes that spark.
The “ON” and “OFF” switch is responsible for opening and closing the circuit, in the device, which allows the electricity from your outlets to power the appliance. When the device is in the “ON” setting you are opening the flow of electricity even before you decide to use it. The electricity is drawn to the plug and makes an immediate connection hence the blue spark.
Steven also emphasizes the importance of “plugging in devices straight into the wall with even pressure to make sure a quick connection is made.”
The faster you plug the device into the wall, the less likely you are to create a spark between the plug and the device you are plugging in, “it’s pretty minimal but it helps,” Steven says.
Some other causes of sparking include: short circuiting from poor wiring, aged receptacles and overloaded circuits.
But there’s no way to know for sure unless you have the outlet inspected.
Forty per cent of residential fires are electrical in nature but all are a hundred per cent preventable with the right education, it’s all about finding the problem before it’s too late.
So if you’re experiencing sparking don’t ignore it, call an electrical contractor like Birnie HOME SAFE for a proper diagnosis.