What People Say

Herbert Lange: Winner


Herbert Lange of Oakville, left, is congratulated on his Sweeps win by Birnie HOME SAFE owner Tim Birnie.

Herbert LangeHazards uncovered by inspection surprise Oakville homeowner
When Herbert L. saw a Birnie HOME SAFE advertisement asking – ismyhomesafe.ca – he started thinking. “I always thought my home was safe, but when I saw that I was wondering,” says Herbert, who along with his wife has been living in their 63-year-old Oakville home since 1980. After completing an online questionnaire, he was contacted by Birnie HOME SAFE for a preliminary investigation. “Their representative, John Romanetti, explained things to me and checked things over. He felt there were some serious issues and recommended we take the next step.” A thorough Electrical Risk Assessment inspection confirmed John’s findings. Many of the switches and outlets in the home presented potential fire hazards. An old fuse panel was in need of replacement and a complete-home surge protection system was installed at the same time. “I figured there was a wiring problem because we were having problems with one of the burners on the stovetop,” noted Herbert. “I feel much better now knowing that everything has been checked and brought up to date. “I’d rather spend the money getting these things done - after all, you can’t take it with you.”

Janet L.

“We may still have problems, but we know they won’t be electrical”

Janet L.“We may still have problems, but we know they won’t be electrical”
Janet L. refers to her Birnie HOME SAFE ERA (Electrical Risk Assessment) inspection as “a real blessing.” She and her sisters, Joan and Gail, had been living in their 1950s-era Hamilton home for 15 years when they signed up for the inspection. They knew there were issues – a previous small fire in a hallway light switch was the most concerning – but they had no idea what other hazards were lurking behind their walls. Gail says the Birnie HOME SAFE inspection was thorough, beginning at their outside power connection and examining everything inside the house as well as out (including electricity to the many fountains and ponds in their manicured backyard). More than half of the home’s ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets were working incorrectly – a serious shock hazard that can lead to serious injury or even death. There were multiple overheating circuits in the house. They couldn’t run a coffee maker and a sewing machine simultaneously without tripping a circuit breaker. “People can’t walk in this house without us talking about the inspection,” Gail laughs. “The things they found in our house astonished us,” she says. “Peace of mind is the biggest thing we’ve gotten out of this. We may still have problems in this house, but we know they won’t be electrical.”
TOP