April 7th, 2017
To commemorate its golden anniversary, the Licensed Electrical Contractor hosted a gala last week and raised $20,400 for the Sick Kids Burn Program. Those in attendance included family members, past and present employees, partners, suppliers and the Mayor of Mississauga.
Birnie Electric was founded on April 1st, 1967. The organization evolved from a two-person operation working out of a small office, to one of the largest family owned electrical firms in Ontario.
Peter Birnie, who started the company, is proud of Birnie Electric’s legacy. “It’s been a long road from putting alarm bells into Mac’s Milk stores and then getting to the stage where we’re an integral part of building an LRT system in Toronto,” he says.
According to the organization, Birnie Electric’s year-after-year revenue and portfolio growth is testament to its commitment to service, excellence and innovation.
Meet The Team Behind Birnie Electric’s ESA Win
November 15, 2016
On September 29th Birnie Electric was awaded the prestigious Consumer Home and Safety Award from the Electrical Safety Authority. Meet the team who prompted this win.
There’s a certain charm in owning an older home. New developments just can’t emulate the distinct architecture, craftsmanship and unique history that are synonymous with living in one. While these character homes have a unique tale to tell, homeowners are realizing that curb appeal alone won’t protect their wires from today’s electrical demands.
The data gathered from Birnie Electric’s award winning Electrical Hazard Detection (EHD), inspections, confirms that 99% of older homes inspected harbour electrical defects; 40% of these residences contain dangerous shock hazards.
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, (ESFI), electrical fires account for 51,000 fires each year in North America. When the electrical hasn’t been upgraded in 50 years, the odds of a fire risk are greatly increased. Most homeowners are unaware of the dangers lurking behind their walls. That’s why I’m an advocate for electrical safety education.
Here are the top six electrical hazards encountered when renovating the electrical in older homes…
October 2, 2016
Birnie Electric’s commitment to making homeowners electrically safe was recognized last Thursday, at the Living Arts Centre, by the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA).
The licensed electrical contractor’s HOME SAFE program took home the, Consumer and Home Safety Award, for their efforts in educating residents about electrical safety issues in the home.
The Awards were presented by Brian Bentz, Chair, Electrical Safety Authority Board of Directors, and the Honourable Marie-France Lalonde, Minister of Government and Consumer Services.
Tim Birnie, president of Birnie Electric and Birnie HOME SAFE, was present to accept the award. “I am extremely proud of my team. I know we are actually making a difference in the community and we’re saving lives everyday by finding potential electrical fire hazards and making the necessary recommendations for the repairs,” he says.
Birnie HOME SAFE’s Unique Electrical Hazard Detection, EHD, Program Reduces Residential Electrical Fires in Ontario
July 15, 2016
Birnie HOME SAFE’s award-winning EHD system has prevented over 700 electrical fires in the GTA. The unique service is founded on the idea of detecting an electrical hazard before it becomes an immediate emergency.
According to the Licensed electrical contractor, 40 per cent of residential fires are electrical in nature but all are 100 per cent preventable with the right education.
Birnie HOME SAFE has partnered with local municipalities and fire departments to share their electrical-safety message and instill awareness and accountability to homeowners all over Ontario.
June 10, 2016
Birnie HOME SAFE, a division of Birnie electric, has launched a new electric charger installation service enabling residents to join the electric vehicle revolution.
Wednesday, Ontario Premiere, Kathleen Wynne, announced that the province will spend 8.3 billion dollars to combat climate change through a number of cost-saving incentives.
Within the Five Year Climate Change Action plan 2016- 2020, the Wynne government will invest greatly in electric vehicles and electric charging stations.
Home BUILDER – May/June 2016 Issue
The answer is yes: Electrical hazards are all too common in newer homes. Birnie HOME SAFE was asked to inspect this 15-year-old townhome after an electrical fire started in the homeowner’s outlet, which was back-stabbed. Read more [PDF]
Despite the perception that “new” means better construction practices and safer technologies, many new-build homes harbour potentially-dangerous electrical hazards that can leave builders and homeowners in the dark. As a Licensed Electrical Contractor, we inspect these newer homes. In my experience, the warning signs of an electrical hazard can arise as early as … Read more [PDF]
* Archived event occurred when Birnie HOME SAFE was known as “Birnie CURRENT SAFE”