Aluminum Wire Repair

Is aluminum wiring dangerous?

It can be if not properly maintained. Aluminum is soft, brittle and prone to oxidation and all of these conditions can create fire conditions. Remember, you need a healthy electrical system to power all of the electronics you use every day. We know that aluminum degrades overtime so failing to treat this system can result in dangerously harming your wires.

Homes with aluminum wiring are 55 times

more likely to reach fire conditions than homes wired with copper.

If your home was built between the 1960s to late 1970s there is a good chance your home was wired with aluminum. Aluminum was used in this era because the price of copper sky-rocketed making it a cheaper alternative but not a safer one.

No, aluminum wiring doesn’t have to be replaced just maintained. We know that the main issue
with aluminum wiring starts at the termination point.

A termination point is where the wire meets the panel or the device. Aluminum oxidizes at
termination points faster than copper wiring does. This results in arching and overheating.

Your plugs, switches, and junction boxes are susceptible to oxidizing termination points.

Like all electrical work, a licensed electrical contractor can safely assess and treat your aluminum wiring safely and to code.

Some insurance companies will refuse to renew or insure homes with aluminum wiring unless the aluminum is inspected and repaired by a licensed electrical contractor.

If you have aluminum wiring and you experience any of these warning signs call Birnie Home Safe immediately.

  • Tripping breakers
  • Flickering lights
  • Discoloured or warm outlets and faceplates
  • Burning plastic smell
  • Sparking or buzzing from an outlet

Request a free preliminary assessment to determine if your home is right for this service:









Please note existing electrical issues or hazards, in the home, may warrant the need of a full-day electrical inspection with subsequent repairs.

TOP